Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Flotsam & Jetsam







Recently, on my little trip home over Christmas, I did some seacombing with the sausage, in hopes to produce a neckpiece, as a sort of continuation of the Destruction images.
The piece will be part of a series which will hopefully be more refined, and I'll be using real silver, therefore, I'm putting a lot more time and effort into the process.
I currently have a pile of rotting or drying bits and pieces of debris on my window sill, including seaweed, crabs claws, seagull skulls and shells etc. not to mention a pile of recently spray painted oyster shells swiftly nicked from a bin at work.. these will be the focal point of another separate piece.
Not only will this series represent a personal nostalgia, but will also use the destructive and gluttonous nature of mankind as a symbol to comment upon the destructive nature of hostile emotions and the hostile treatment of ones' self often attributed to times of crisis.
Furthermore, the pieces will serve as a physical memoir, throughout the year I will be employing found objects the I have collected on various travels over the last year, with Karl, artefacts which prove that we were in a certain place, at a certain time, indeed together.

No comments:

Post a Comment