Monday, December 21, 2009

Mia Pearlman





A few weeks ago I bumped into a little book called Paper: Tear, Fold, Rip, Crease, Cut which opened my eyes to the art of paper cutting- something that I was briefly aware of- after an elaborate jewelery shoot in British Harper's Bazaar this time last year, and a distinctive memory of a lace-like piece in the 2004 VCE top arts.
Yet, ever since viewing the incredible array of works featured in this book, I keep coming across amazing examples of this artform, inclusive of the work of Mia Pearlman.
Pearlman's exquistively cut, bent, and formed paper installations are mind-blowing, the amount of patience and intricate methods associated with these works is awe-inspiring.
Some of the pieces are laser cut, but as far as I can tell most of it is by hand- her layered installations allude to clouds and tornados, an artist-made natural occurrance.

No comments:

Post a Comment